- 16- year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg has shown up in America after a two-week, zero-emission journey by boat.
- The activist tweeted out a picture of herself showing up in New York harbor on Wednesday morning.
- The photo shows the luxury yacht Thunberg was traveling on, Malizia II, sailing up the Hudson River as it went by the Statue of Liberty.
- Users on social networks fasted to explain the significance of the picture and the connection between Thunberg’s climate advocacy and the iconic statue.
- Check out Service Insider’s homepage for more stories
16- year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg has amassed comparisons to Woman Liberty on social networks after she shared a picture of herself getting here in New York harbor on Wednesday morning after a two-week, zero-emission journey across the Atlantic on a boat.
The young activist showed up in the United States to begin a months-long climate action tour of North and South America, in which she will attend the United Nations climate summits in New york city and Santiago, Chile.
On Wednesday, she got here in the United States on a 60- foot, carbon-neutral racing luxury yacht called Malizia II.
She shared news of her arrival on Twitter, tweeting out a picture of: “The lights of Long Island and New York City City.”
The teen likewise shared a picture of herself sailing up the Hudson River as the boat gone by the Statue of Liberty, long acknowledged as a symbol of freedom and social justice to immigrants showing up in America.
Social media users began comparing Thunberg to the iconic statue and kept in mind the powerful significance of Thunberg’s environment activism.
“Excellent photo. Two females who are sign for liberty,” user Jan Snawaert discussed Twitter
“It’s a perfect picture with the Statue of Liberty in the background, because you and supporters all over the world have actually been taking the liberty to defend the future of humanity. Very iconic moment recorded,” user Jeffrey S Rafuse wrote
“Time to build a Greta statue for Environment outside the Swedish Parliament in Stockholm,” said another user
Thunberg rose to fame in her native Sweden after she conducted a “environment strike” outside the nation’s parliament in August2018
She has because become a popular voice within the environment advocacy neighborhood, and has promoted the growing anti-air travel movement in Europe, dubbed “ Flygskam,” or “flight shame.”
She states she stopped flying in2015